Looking for quick curry dishes for busy weeknights, then try this deliciously comforting Chicken meatball yellow curry made with few spices and coconut milk. This meatball curry is fabulous as a quick lunch, dinner, or for a crowd.
Rice and curries frequently appear in our meal plan, and we have at least 2-3 curries for lunch. However, there are times that I have no time to make many dishes so, I try to make something quick and easy like this chicken meatball yellow curry. I served these with Parsley potato flatbread. However, you can also sever with a bowl of rice or with flatbread of your choice.
Homemade meatballs are easy to make and taste delicious too. You can bake them for a healthier version. I prefer making meatballs at home and having them in the freezer ready to go. I use ground chicken to make the meatballs. You can also use ground turkey, a mix of both, or store-bought chicken meatballs.
Vegan Options for this Yellow Curry
This curry can be turned in to a Vegan by adding these alternatives.
Potatoes and cauliflower
Potato and Spinach
Vegan meatballs, or Lentils
What is needed for the Chicken Meatball Yellow curry sauce
This curry sauce can be easily put together with very few ingredients.
Fresh produce and spices for the curry will be onion, tomato, parsley, black mustard seeds, turmeric, curry powder, red chili powder(optional), salt, oil, and coconut milk.
I used curry powder in this recipe, but this meatball curry can be made without curry powder too. If curry powder is not in hand, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin and 2 teaspoons of ground coriander.
Chicken Meatball Yellow CurryCourse: Main, Lunch, DinnerCuisine: South East Asian
- Chicken Meatballs
500g/ 1 pound ground chicken
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
2 Tablespoons of chopped Parsley( about 3 sprigs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 small egg
1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil ( frying)
- Yellow Curry Sauce
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 small red onion chopped finely
1 medium-large tomato sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder( optional)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup water
1- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
fresh parsley for garnishing
- Chicken Meatballs
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, chopped garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, chili flakes, bread crumbs, and egg. Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined. Try not to over mix.
- Shape the ground meat into equal-sized meatballs or your preferred size. This yields about 15 -18 meatballs.
- Place a skillet on medium heat and add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add a few meatballs at a time, without overcrowding the pan. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, or bake them in an oven preheated to 395F / 200C for 15- 20 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Place the cooked meatballs on a plate. Leaving a teaspoon of oil in the skillet, remove the excess, and start making the curry sauce in the same skillet.
- Chicken Meatball Yellow Curry Sauce
- In the same skillet, leaving a teaspoon of oil in the skillet, remove the excess, and start making the curry sauce.
- Place the skillet on medium heat, add 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Next, add chopped onions, sliced tomato, turmeric, and salt. Stir to mix and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes are soft. At this point, if the pan is too dry, add a splash of water.
- Now, add the curry powder and chili powder, cook for a minute. Make sure to stir often so the curry base does not burn. Follow by adding the 1/4 cup of water. Stir well.
- Next, add the meatballs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the coconut milk, stir well, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring, so the coconut milk doesn’t curdle.
- Serve warm with rice or flatbread.