This is a very rich and moist Chocolate Toblerone Cake with a creamy chocolate buttercream that everyone will love.
I wish everyone a fantastic year 2020! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Let’s welcome this new year with something sweet, chocolaty, and divine. So I present to you the Toblerone Chocolate Cake.
This Toblerone chocolate cake is an excellent dessert for birthdays or any other occasion. Sometimes there is no need for an occasion to make this cake, you just need to have the desire 😉
Toblerone is our family favorite. The best part of the chocolate is the almond nougat, which I love most, and what’s better than your favorite chocolate on a cake.
Now, let’s talk about the cake.
The Chocolate Cake
The chocolate cake is a simple and easy recipe that can be put together within 20 minutes. There is no need to get the stand mixer or hand beater dirty. You just need
A large bowl
A medium-size bowl
A whisk / wooden spoon
A scale/measuring cups and spoons
*All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
Apart from the hot water, you just have to mix all the other wet ingredients in a large bowl and the dry ingredients in the medium-sized bowl.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well until combined. Lastly, add the hot water and mix well. This batter makes 2 x 6-inch /8-inch cakes.
I used 1/4 cup of melted butter for more flavor, but you can use all melted butter or all oil instead of 1/4 cup of butter and oil.
Buttermilk can be replaced with 3/4 cup yogurt and 1/4 cup milk.
Baking time might slightly vary according to your oven heat. So I would recommend that you check the cake when it’s about 25 minutes. Insert a skewer in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, it might need a few more minutes.
The Chocolate Buttercream
The buttercream is rich and creamy goodness. This is a basic chocolate buttercream recipe that is easy to make. I have used 6 Tablespoons of cocoa powder for an extra chocolate flavor. For a creamy texture, I used 5 Tablespoons of milk.
Assembling the Cake
You could make a two-layer cake or layer it into four like me. I used a thin layer of buttercream and topped each layer with melted Toblerone chocolate. Lastly, cover the cake with buttercream and decorate it with chopped almonds and more chocolate.
Chocolate Toblerone CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: American
This is a very rich and moist chocolate cake with a creamy chocolate buttercream that everyone will love.
- Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cups / 220g All purpose flour
3/4 cup/ 75 g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup /200g brown sugar
3/4 cup / 150g white granulated sugar
1 cup / 240ml buttermilk
1/4 cup/ 60ml melted butter
1/4 cup / 60ml sunflower oil/ vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup/ 240 ml hot water
- Creamy Chocolate buttercream
1 1/3 cups / 300g butter
4 cups / 500g powdered sugar/ icing sugar
6 Tablespoons/ 45g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4-5 Tablespoons / 75ml whole milk
- For assembling
Completely cooled cakes
One 100g Toblerone chocolate bar melted to spread on top of the buttercream layer.
- For decorating
6-7 almonds chopped finely
1 small Toblerone chocolate bar
- Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven at 175 C/ 350 F. Grease 2 x 8-inch pans and line with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and white granulated sugar in a medium-size bowl and mix well with a whisk and set aside.
- Add the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, vanilla, and eggs into a large bowl and whisk well until combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Lastly, add the hot water and mix well to combine.
- Pour the batter equally into the 8-inch pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake pan on a cooling rack and let it cool completely in the pans.
- Once it’s cooled completely you can layer the cake and frost it.
- Creamy Chocolate buttercream
- Use a stand mixer or a hand beater to cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder and beat for a minute.
- Next, add powdered sugar and beat for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl with a spatula a few times.
- Lastly, put in milk and beat until soft and creamy about 3-4 minutes.
- Assembling the cake
- Cut each cake horizontally to make two layers. Place one layer on top of a plate or cake stand.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream with an offset spatula and top it with few spoons of melted Toblerone.
- Next, place the second layer and spread a layer of buttercream and melted Toblerone.
- Repeat the same for the next layer and place the last layer top side down and cover the cake completely with buttercream.
- Decorate the cake with chopped almonds and Toblerone chocolate.
- Freezer instructions – Wrap the unfrosted cake twice with cling wrap and freeze it for 3 months.
- Recipe adapted from Ina Garten