If you try these Spicy scrambled eggs you would not go back and make the classic scrambled eggs for breakfast. You will devour every single bite you take.
Have you ever felt that you are organized, but still things are not happening the way that you have planned? It’s happening to me right now. Back to school and lots of deadlines to meet, presentation to make and parent-teacher meetings. Balancing work, home, and the blog, sometimes I wonder how most of you guys do this?
With limited time, all I can think of is quick and easy breakfast options for weekends. So here I am posting a delicious, quick and easy Sri Lankan style Scrambled Egg recipe for you.
This is how my grandma and my mum makes scrambled eggs, and I love it. Every time I make these, it brings back memories of my grandmother who was a great cook. These breakfast eggs are excellent for any time of the day and a great hangover cure.
It’s cooked with onions, tomatoes, curry leaves and a pinch of turmeric with three types of chilies. I suggest that you use well ripe juicy tomatoes for this dish. These scrambled eggs are not too spicy but if you find that’s too much chili you could reduce it according to your taste. I serve these wrapped in a tortilla or topped on toast.
To make it kid-friendly leave out all the chili. If you can handle a little heat then you can add little chili flakes or half a jalapeno pepper chopped finely.
Spicy Scrambled Eggs Sri Lankan StyleCourse: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, MainCuisine: Sri Lankan
These breakfast eggs are excellent for any time of the day and a great hangover cure.
6 large eggs
1 Tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon salt + a pinch for the eggs
½ Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
8-10 curry leaves
2 medium red onions sliced
2 medium tomatoes chopped
Pinch of turmeric (optional)
½ teaspoon chili flakes
½ teaspoon chili powder
2 green chilies sliced (optional)
- Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and beat the eggs with milk and a pinch of salt.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and add ½ tbsp. of butter into the pan.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and stir with a spatula. Stir until the eggs are slightly underdone.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and put it in the same bowl. Now add the 1 Tablespoon of oil and mustard seed and let the mustard seed pop.
- Next add the sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, curry leaves, ¼ tsp salt and the pinch of turmeric into the pan. Stir well and let it fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly add the scrambled eggs, chili flakes, chili powder, and sliced green chili. Mix well until combined.
- Cook for a minute and remove the pan from heat. Serve warm with toast or wrapped in a warm tortilla.
- To make it kid-friendly leave out all the chili. If you can handle a little heat then you can add little chili flakes or half a jalapeno pepper chopped finely.
The eggs turned out amazing! I’ve already made this thrice and the flavour is brilliant!
Thank you for your recipe : )
That’s fantastic and glad you loved it!?Thank you so much for the feedback, Irene.
I’ve been searching for a Sri Lankan breakfast egg recipe since I had them in 2010 in Sri Lanka. They were the most delicious breakfast eggs I had ever eaten and so I will most definitely get making these. I live in Portugal and cannot get fresh curry leaves here. What would be the effect of leaving them out? I am going to try and buy a plant to grow on my land here x
Welcome to my space? Glad you are going to try these scrambled eggs. There won’t be a difference in flavor if you leave curry leaves out and I have made these eggs many times without curry leaves, it still tastes delicious. Growing a curry leaf plant is a wonderful idea!
Happy cooking ??